Friday, January 22, 2010

2010 : A new hope?


I pick the title, "A New Hope", because I believe we truly need it nowadays, just like the Star Wars ep. IV storyline. A long time ago in a galaxy far away, Emperor Palpatine and his loyal apprentice, Darth Vader, ruled most of the galaxy under one simple ingredient, fear. By eliminating the rest of the Jedis, the Empire has just swept away hopes from the people who are longing for freedom and peace. But not until the Rebels just got help from Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Leia, and Chewie. All those 'heroes', with the help of the Force, they just bring 'A New Hope'.


It's been a decade since the last hype of new millennium. Back then, people fantasized about what this decade will look like, perhaps a perfect utopia which we all have been dreaming of. But, when you look at the world, it's just total chaos, with all the bad things appear randomly in every corner of the earth. Couple of months ago, I read Time Magazine which described that the 2000-2009 period as a decade from hell. Remember 9/11, nonsense war on Iraq, terrorism, serial bombings in our own backyard, and not to mention climate change. Similar with the Star Wars story, we're living in FEAR. In every corner of the earth, fear has just become the catalyst and the dominator of all problems that world are facing. Will 'Luke' and 'Leia' come to aid us?

So, what's on the menu for this year? How about Haiti earthquake for appetizer? It has been recorded as one of the bloodiest natural disaster of the decade. Don't forget we are still in the middle of economic crisis and climate change, while the U.S. are still engaging war on Afghanistan. Well, that's the world at present day.

This one was a terrible mess !!!

Okay, I'll make full stop on the miserable issues. Well, surprisingly, 2010 for so far has been quite...amazing! Hmm...apparently, January has just been my best month so far. Firstly, I got my PR confirmed, I've started the first semester of my PhD study (the burden starts to feel heavier each day), I've managed to have a part-time job, and I'm starting to hangout with colleagues more than I used to be. Especially on the latter issue, suddenly, several people coming out from nowhere were starting to show up in my campus, and let's just say, it's nice to have many people around in your workplace. Nowadays, we often discuss our culinary destinations, which has been growing into some kind of a to-do-thing list.
The jackpot is....wait for it....yes, I finally got a green light to acquire another so-called-girlfriend (not literally, of course), Playstation 3 !!! Yeah yeah yeah, you can call me acting like kids or teenagers, but I'm not gonna miss Final Fantasy XIII and other huge games coming out for 2010. Permission granted! Now the problem is that I have to split up the times for study, playing, and future-wife. (wait, are those in order? Hmmmm)

Well, on the other hand, I have to undergo this 'temporary' long distance thing with Suri, since she has been very busy with the her family new house thing, helping her sis wedding, and last but not least, preparing our wedding which is starting to give us lots of headaches (I mean, there are so many decisions to take on every little things). Nevertheless, can't wait for the Chinese New Year holiday, I'm gonna have fun with her and people back home (2 more weeks to go, counting days !!!).

Coming soon, to my room...

Yeah, life is good so far, and I hope it continues this way. What's next on the line for me this year? Hmm, let's see getting married (now I'm getting nervous, evidently, my bachelor days are numbered), my friends are getting married, my friends are having kids, gosh !!! Like I've said, a new PS3, tentatively, a trip to Bali, Shanghai, New Zealand, or somewhere else (still counting the budget and time constraint).

My resolution for this year? Perhaps preparing my self for the D-Day (one of them is the endless diet resolution, hufff), meet new people and hangout with friends more (so far it's on the right track), and get the best out of me for my PhD. All the best for all of us !!!

"May the Force be with you always"

No comments: