Monday, January 4, 2010

The Baker Street duo

Sherlock Holmes may not be the best movie to end up 2009, but I had fun watching it, thanks especially to Robert Downey, Jr and Jude Law portrayals of the legendary Baker Street’s dynamic duo. So far, this duet is the best of the year (actually, I can’t recall any other memorable dynamic duos for 2009, hmmm.....no, still can’t come up with one). Watching them fighting, debating, joking, or annoying each other makes us convinced enough that Holmes and Watson has been working and living together for all this time. But, if I must choose, I must say Jude Law gave a better show than Downey Jr., where the latter’s characterization seems like watching Tony Stark is playing as Holmes. Thumbs up for Law, because he is managed to diminish the ‘good looking’ appearance, especially with that moustache, which added the maturity and a stronger character.

In the bigger picture, the plot is easy to understand, but once you step in to follow scene by scene, some people might get lost in somewhere. In short, Holmes and Watson has to stop the sinister Lord Blackwood (Mark Strong, or Andy Garcia very look-a-like) who just appear to be come back from the dead, and he is plotting to do something nasty with his ‘black magic’ capability. Things get messier when Holmes is confronted by Irene Adler (Rachel McAdams), who has some history with him in the past. Together, all of them have to work together solving the riddles left by Blackwood and unveiling his catastrophic plan.

Nevertheless, Sherlock Holmes will satisfy the puzzle and crime solving lovers. Since crime and problem solving has been my TV series main interest so far (Mentalist, CSI, Lie to Me, etc), I was left with a certain degree excitement, especially I have been reading some of Holmes novels back when I was in high school. Still, I was left unsatisfied with some 'new additions'. To my surprise, I was quite shocked to see Holmes as a martial art expert, where did he learn those moves? Okay, I get the point that he is able to see the weak spot on his enemies, but to be that quick and tough; it does need some time for me to swallow the new Holmes.

On the directorial point of view, I guess this is Guy Ritchie’s first commercial movie, and we can also say, his first movie after the separation with Madonna (which I think will benefit his movie career). It’s nice to see him back with a bang. After all, his last several movies were major disasters (Revolver,Rock n Rolla, and don't even mention Swept Away). But I must say, Sherlock Holmes is a not Ritchie’s type of movies. I miss when he made terrific and very British movies such as Snatch or Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels. In Holmes, we don’t see all those black comedy or traditional Ritchie’s style of jokes. I understand that the producer wants Sherlock Holmes to be accepted by as many as casual watchers can be, so I guess he must put away some of his old style when he used to make those low budget movies. But, the split screen editing scenes are still there, with some quick narration here and there, which makes the movie pace becomes a bit quicker, especially on the puzzle solving. But, in some parts, the backlash and quick jumping scenes often provide more confusions than explanations. Well, I believe CSI did a much better job on that part.

At first, I was not so sure to see a Sherlock Holmes movie is combined with fighting and explosions, but in the end, I guess it works alright. And with such an open conclusion in the ending, I must say Ritchie has already some plans for the next instalment. It is a decent movie to end 2009 after all. Not that good, but fun to watch.

My Ratings : 8/10

No comments: