Thursday, September 24, 2009

What's wrong with comfort and efficiency?


Mike: Well nothing, except no one wants to fuck it.

Now, let's see how good is the other Gerard Butler movie, THE UGLY TRUTH? Well, surprisingly good and entertaining. Well, it still has some cheesy elements (but hey, without them, this kind of genre is like eating pizza without cheese). Katherine Heigl somehow always easily connects herself with this kind of character (remember Knocked Up and 27 Dresses?). Well, in other words, it is highly possible that we'll see her again in other future romantic comedy movies (although the next project, KILLER, collaborating with Ashton Kuthcer may provide some surprises). She's hot, somehow dumb, a control freak producer, but I felt she's too good to be a girl who hasn't been dating for about a year (yessss, including the sex). I mean even before she transforms, it's almost impossible for guys to ignore her in the first place. She plays a TV show producer, Abby, who feels that she lacks of dating, and eager to find a hot hunk to accompany her. The only problem is, she's to naive and idealistic to find the perfect guy. In short, she just won't find a boyfriend with her current attitude.

Now, on the other hand, Mr. Butler gives us something really new, which makes us laugh. When I read he took a major role in this movie, I was totally skeptic, I mean, Gerard Butler, the King Leonidas himself. I thought he learns his lesson from P.S. I Love You or Nim's Island that he should avoid comedy or drama. But this time, I think it works, especially with his American accent. He's funny, outspoken, talkative but without being annoying, and being a cool charismatic guy without that over the top confidence. Now, Butler's character is a hardcore TV personality, Mike Chadway, who spills the beans about the ugly truth on what makes men and women tick. Abby's boss decides to hire Mike to have his own segment, THE UGLY TRUTH, into her morning show, which eventually attracts viewers and increase the ratings. Abby was totally despise Mike in anyway, but eventually, he made a deal with her, that he will transform Abby in order to gain interest from her neighbor, who apparently, is a hot single surgeon. And in return, he can have his job at the show.

But, it doesn't take a genius to see where this story ends, does it?

Actually, I was planning to watch Tim Burton's "9", but since the ticket was out already, and I felt like I have to give my girlfriend a break from watching 'my kind of movie', then I decide, oh well, once in a while, let's watch cheesy movie. Well, it turns out to be entertaining. Funny as it is, and hot as Heigl can be, I felt that some of the cast are underused, such as Mike's sister and her son, which I thought can be much more fruitful if they were given more portion, especially towards the end. The underwear vibrator scene was hilarious, and the ugly truth itself was damn right to the bottom. So, guys, bring your partners to watch this, I'm sure you'll learn something from it...

My Rating : 7.5/10

No comments: