Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Once again I must ask too much of you, Harry


I managed to get the tickets on the premiere day of the 6th installments of Harry Potter: Half Blood Prince. I was really eager to catch this one (I even listened to the audio book just to remember the story line), added with so many positive reviews (thanks joblo.com) and mouth to mouth comments, all thes e things even made me dead curious to watch it.

Therefore, I got the tickets for the 9.50 PM show, and in the next morning, I got to wake up early in the morning to catch the flight to KL for the Man Utd Asia Tour...what a whacky nite. I’ll save the story about the KL trip later on. Now, let’s review Hogwarts’ kids in action.

In short, it's the best Potter movie so far, and also the darkest one, which I like it a lot, means it shows the maturity of the whole series, along with growth of the Hogwarts' kids. David Yates successfully translates the book (which I find a little bit boring) into a tremendous movie with some modifications here and there (and they work well). Again, you will see that many scenes from the book was cut down or even changed, which I don't mind at all, cause I enjoyed this 2-hour plus show.

The strong emphasis on this 6th year is put into the teenage love story, and the whole casts are able to deliver a magnificent performance as highly infatuated teenagers with curiosity of their own feelings. Although, the dark story as the background where the real identity of the Dark Lord Voldermort himself was explained bit by bit with the rise of the Dark Army emerging, and all of these concluded with a horrific ending (I bet you all know what I mean). Well, I'm not going to write the story here, since all of you must've been known the story (or even watch it).

From all the cast, I believe Rupert Grint was outstanding, getting better in each new movie, while as Emma Watson is getting hotter! Other thing I've noticed that this is the best Alan Rickman (Snape) perfomance in the whole series, although I felt that he's rather underused. Also, glad to see Bonnie Wright (Ginny) gets more scenes than previous ones (whoa, she's so tall !!!). Too bad we didn't get any of Oldman (Sirius) and Fiennes (Voldermort) in this one. Jim Broadbent as the newest addition of the series, was perfect potraying Slughorn, an ex-Slytherin who got a comeback call from Dumbledore to teach again.

Thumbs up for David Yates, whom I recall the perfect person to hold the director's seat for the last 4 Potter film. It seems he really understand and able to grasp the basic concept of Potter's world and its storyline, especially toward the end of the series, where it's getting darker and intense.

This flick is not just the best of the series, but also (in subjective manner) tie up with Star Trek as the best 2009 summer movie. Can't wait for the latest 2 installments.

My Rating 9/10 --> 1 additional points for both Hermione and Ginny for being hot!


Share on Facebook

No comments: