Thursday, July 23, 2009

Man Utd ASIA TOUR - KL


By the time I wrote this, Man Utd has already cancelled their tour to Jakarta as the result of the another terrorist bombing. Deep inside, I felt very lucky since I chose to watch them at KL, but on the other hand, I felt sad and sorry for the Indonesian fans, because this chance won't come easily even for the next decade.

Watching Man Utd live match is perhaps one of my biggest dream which I'm trying my best to make it come true. Nevertheless, just like my sis said, even watching them not at Old Trafford can be considered as 'small dream' comes true. Can't agree more !!! Just like watching Coldplay live concert back few months ago, this experience was unforgettable. The difference is that, now I'm able to bring Suri with me, along with my high school bud and his girlfriend. Correct me if I'm wrong, on this rare occasion, the more the merrier (well, the girls won't mind, since they have someone to accompany them now).

So, in brief, I can say that the trip to KL this time was both exciting and exhausting. This time, we went by plane instead of bus (upgrade the transport), and stayed at cheap and 'so-so' hotel (degrade the accommodation, ha3). The event was held for two days, where on Friday was the training session, and the Saturday was the match against the Malaysia XI.

Only for this event, I brought my 2 Man Utd jersey (08/09 away blue, and 07/08 away white) and some t-shirts with Man Utd attributes. Too bad I didn't bring the Red one, cause I left it back at Jakarta. Nevertheless, I'm ready for the match !

First time we went to the stadium, we got 'robbed' or 'kena tipu' by a cab driver. In the beginning, he charged us RM30, then because of the traffic jam, later on he asked for additional fare. Then I asked how much, and he said "Up to you". Okay then, I offered him RM5 more...and u know his reply? "Make it RM40". Asshole, lucky there were 4 of us.

Actually, the training sessions was dull, the exciting thing was that we were able to see the Man Utd players on field with our own eyes (even I have to use binoculars to see them clearly). Well, in my experience, this the closest I can get to them, along with other 50.000 spectators.


There's a funny story after the training session when we want to go back to our hotel. We had to walk to the nearest mall to avoid the traffic jam, so it's easier for us to stop any taxi. Well, eventually, we had to wait for almost an hour, until we can grab one. Now, after 4 times I came to KL, this is the first I took a ride in taxi who had....wait for it....his METER ON !!! Yeah, and it only cost us RM16 to go back in spite of the traffic jam. Lucky for us, the cab driver was kindly enough to offer us the service for the Saturday match (cost us RM18 one way). I'll surely contact him again next time I visit KL.

The next day was more exciting, cause I was gonna watch, for the first time, a live Man Utd match! We arrived at the stadium around 2.30PM, and there was already a massive crowd gathering outside the entrance gate, and yes, most of them were 'RED'. Thanks to my buddy, Adrianto, who bought the ticket, the chose a perfect seat and a nice view toward the field.

After waiting for 2 hours plus, the players entered the field for warming up. Only Vidic, Rafael, Hargreaves, Park, Valencia, and Obertan were missed out the tour. For starting line up, Fergie put Rooney + Berba upfront, then Nani on the left wing, Gibson on the right, plus Scholes and Anderson holding the Mid field, added with the back four, Ferdinand, Evans, O'Shea, and Evra. Means that Fergie was using the traditional 4-4-2, and put Rooney back to his natural position.



To be frank, I'm expecting a dull match, since this is only a warm up match practice for Fergie's men. But it turned out to offer some surprises. Rooney opened up the goal at 9th minute, and gave assist to Nani to score later on. It should be an easy winning, but the home team had different idea (well, thanks to both Man Utd goalkeepers). Yahya managed to score two fluke goals, one near the 1st half added time (lob over Van Der Sar), and the 2nd after substitute Ben Foster made a horrendous error after receiving a backpass.

The match reached 80th minute, and Fergie had used Owen, Giggs, Brown, Fabio, and Macheda, signalling the attacking approach. The high moment of the match was when Owen scored on his debut, on the 80th minute, and gave Man Utd 3-2 win. Not bad for the injury prone player, and I'm looking forward to see him in action for the new season.


It was a memorable time, and exhausting either. We got back to the hotel, had dinner at Jalan Alor for the 2nd night in the row, took a hot bath, and went to sleep with excited feeling. I'm looking forward to watch them live back in their homeground, Old Trafford, perhaps someday in the not to distant future.

Glory glory Man united,
Glory glory Man united,
Glory glory Man united,
As the reds go marching on on on !!!



PS: Through this post, I want to give my condolences for all the Jakarta bombing victims, and for all the Man Utd supporters who were not able to see the match. Let's kick out the terrorists, and hope they all burn in hell!!!

1 comment:

Temmy & Monika said...

Yeah little dream came true....hopefully you could watch MU from the Old Trafford :P.....