Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Someone has to say ENOUGH...


Okay, in this context...ENOUGH of stupid, useless, and brainless remakes. Clash of The Titans somehow fits into that category, although the movie is still enjoyable to watch. But if we're talking whether this remake is necessary...well, I certainly don't think so. Clash of the Titans is a remake of 1981 version, which has been considered as cult movie, along with the special effects used to create the various creatures in (done brilliantly by Ray Harryhausen who employed stop motion animation). I managed to take a look to this 1981 version, just to prepare myself for the 2010 one. Although it's a 2-decade ago movie, I believe in term of cinematic experience, it's entertaining, apart from cheesy dialog, but hey, it's a movie about the Greek Gods anyway. I must say, I was curious to see how this old version will be remaked. Will they keep the old plot or the characters, or will they even show the robotic owl Bubo? Judging by the trailer, it seems good, but after a horrendous 120 minutes of 3D, the movie seems so flat.

Okay, the big picture, it's a story of Perseus, who didn't realize he's Zeus' son, until Hades made a mess of him and his family. Perseus started a journey to settle unfinished business with Hades. Along the way, he is accompanied with a band soldiers, black Pegasus, wood-cursed guy, and a hot chick as a Bubo replacement. Then, just like video games storyline, they have to encounter new 'bosses' on each story segment (somehow, this reminds me how similar this is with Percy Jackson), until they Perseus have to do one on one with the mighty Kraken.

The main problem for when I was watching this, was the 3D effect was so annoying, I was surprised when I opened up my glasses, the image was clear and bright enough, with a bit of blurry effect, but it is still watchable. Then, I decided to watch halfway through without the glasses. I guess CLASH OF THE TITANS made a perfect example how eventually, 3D makes a movie looks so bad.

The Medusa scene is a major improvement, she made a good cameo, actually.

Apart from the horrendous 3D visualization, the story line appears to be quite flat, lack of emotion, and the I felt they rushed a lot of things. No matter how lame the 1981 version was, at least it still had a concurrent plot, at least the reasoning for Perseus journey is based of a logical cause (he was deeply in love with Andromeda). I felt by tweaking the story here and there, and adding Hades to the story line somehow changed the story main plot. In the old version, the gods have the sufficient portion of screening time, where Zeus was the bad guy, because he has lost his minds, not to mention, his ego as made other gods turn their backs on him. While on the 2010 version, the movie focuses too much on the human side, leaving a very little plot for Zeus and the gang.

On the bright side, the CGI team made a good job on bringing the mythological creatures into life. Some shots of the scenery was remarkable, and the fighting scenes are nicely choreographed, although I don't buy the fight scenes with Calibos when Perseus started to do some back flip and kung-fu style...damn it, they should see how 300 do their battle fights.

Kraken 2010 --> it's dull, underused, and lame.

Overall, CLASH OF THE TITANS is somehow entertaining in some parts, but mostly flat, forgettable once you leave the cinema, a so-so remake, and a very underwhelming 3D. My suggestion? Please go HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON for a 2nd viewing...it's much worth it...

My Ratings : 6.5/10

No comments: