Wednesday, November 18, 2009

No Air Con? No Problem...yet

Last week, my air con had a major break down, since it didn't blew cold air. I asked the air con guy to fix it, and it only lasted for a night, because the night after, the same problem occurred. They told me that there must be a leaking problem, which required a pressure test, where I can't turn on the air con for two days, waiting for the test result to see where's the problem. Bottom line, for the past week, I slept without air con. At the beginning, I felt that it was gonna be a nightmare, since I rarely slept without air con. Yeah, I'm as guilty as those people who generate CO2 emission and causing global warming, I assumed. Just like any other urban dwellers, especially who live in tropical climate, air con has become the main thing you must have inside your house, well, apart from your fridge, I guess.

But to my surprise, the first morning I woke up without the air con, I felt so....refreshed, I mean I woke up early, around 7, and it felt damn to good to open your eyes and wake up. Believe me, this thing has never happened to me before. Usually, I just open up my eyes, and hoping I can stay all day in the bed. It's been a week now, and I always feel the same thing. Then, when I bring this thing for a discussion with my colleagues, they told me there has been a research on this thing.

Now, I'm not an expert on this, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'll try to explain this. Well, the easy scientific explanation is that if you are not using air con, means that the air circulation will be much better, where the you will always be supplied with fresh air. On the other hand, if you are using air con, basically it only circulates the air from the room, without any chance to introduce fresh air. Means to say, you will only get more CO2 supply, from your breath, and get cooled up, and you'll breath them again. And FYI, C02 makes you feel sleepy, and it's bad for you. Believe it or not, that's why on Yoga practice, the deep breathing exercise is very very good, because too much C02 can make you feel light-headed, sleep, and make it difficult to think clearly.

BUT, not all of us can experience a good sleep without air con, don't u agree? It's very fortunate for me that for the last few weeks, it's been raining hard, almost every day. Well, to some extent, it dropped down the temperature during the day, and during the night, the air are quite breezy, which is good. Other thing, I live on 20th floor, so basically, no mosquitoes, no insects, no car noises and horns, etc. Well, I simply cannot sleep back in Jakarta without air con, cause the air will be so stuffy, and I will busy scratching my whole body thanks to the mosquitoes bites.

My point being is, if the condition (your place and the current weather) is supportive enough, do try once in a while to sleep without air con, or perhaps just turn on the fan. It's good for your health and mind, I supposed.

No comments: