Wednesday, August 12, 2009

What'd you say your unit was called?


After seeing how Transformers 2 didn't live up the hype and utterly dissapointing (every time I watch a better movie each week, the more I felt that TF 2 is kinda sucks), I hold on my nerve to catch this other Hasbro product. But, since Snake Eyes is so damn cool in the trailer, I thought, oh well, at least it should be entertaining, mind the story. In the end, well...it's not as bad as I thought it would be !!! Although the story is dumb, the dialogues are even dumber, G.I. Joe didn't dissapoint me, and to tell u the truth, I enjoy the whole 120 minutes full of mindless and dumb action scenes.

But once again, you don't expect a Schindler's List quality or Saving Private Ryan kinda movie on this one, rite? Guys, this is a movie based on toys!!! How serious it's gonna be anyway?

The story is quite predictable, a group of terrorist creates super nano-technology warhead missiles which can destroy Eiffel Tower like ants eating up the giant cakes. And that's not the only 'super cool weapon' in the movie, you'll see lots of other nasty weaponry which I guarantee you haven't seen in other movies (of course you haven't, it's G.I. JOE for heaven's sake, it has more bullshits than James Bond). Then, the super troopers of G.I Joes get the mission to eliminate the threat, with their based hidden below the Pyramid (boringggg....TF2 has booked the place already, Sommers!!!). The new recruits, Duke (Channing Tatum) and Ripcord (Marlon Wayans) are eager to take revenge of the Cobras, since their batallion just got ambushed by super sexy Baroness (Sienna Miller), which happens to be Duke long lost love (how cliche). Along with other Joes, General Hawk (Dennis Quaid), Heavy Duty, Snake Eyes, Breaker and Scarlett (she's hot), they plan to stop the enemy and save the world !!! (sounds familiar??)


Although you think this can be as ugly as it can get, nevertheless, if you happen to:
1. watch the old cartoon movies, (check)
2. love The Mummy series, (check)
3. have some fetish of tightleather soldiers and Sienna Miller's ass, (hmm, kinda)
4. full action and shooting here and there where everyone landed on their heads first, (I'm in!)
5. admire Snake Eyes, (adorable!!)

Then, this is your guilty pleasure !!!

There are so many characters in here, but overall, I felt that the bad guys get more story line than the Joes. We are given the history of the Baroness (her past relationship with Duke), Storm Shadows (his long time rivalry with Snake Eyes), and the main enemy, which I'm not gonna givew any spoilers.. I didn't know anything about the Joes, apart from Duke and Snake, and all I know that each of them got their own super ability.

From all the cast, I think Tatum is too young to become Duke, Eccleston is quite nasty as Destro, Miller is surprisingly hot with his American accent, and Nichols also joins the hot group (don't miss the cat fight between them !!!). The Korean guy is okay, although I think ninja shouldn't open his mask, right? Ray Park as Snake Eyes? Well, they should make his own story!!! Quaid didn't get to much screen time, and he only punch once, and got sliced once, and that's all he gets, apart from saying "C'mon JOEs" so many times !!!

Surprisingly, Stephen Sommers is able to put some twist plot line, and even the ending is giving a high probability of a sequel, with most of the characters will come back for sure. So, it's not bad, it's entertaining, and I'm not bored. But still, they should get a new scripwriter for the sequel, cause the lines are ridicilous !!!

My Ratings : 7/10

1 comment:

Temmy & Monika said...

My opinions:
1. Yep, Sienna Miller had a good American accent, eventhough she's Brit :P

2. FACT: Don't u know that Nichols was joined last minute before the movie was starting to wrap up? I think she's not bad either :P.

3. Yep, Tatum was too young to become Duke. Maybe the producer couldn't afford for the big blockbuster movie star because all of the budget seemed to make the CGIs and the costumes wkekekek :P (I guess???)