Friday, June 26, 2009

another night, different museum, looks all the same...


I really enjoyed the Night at the Museum few years ago. I think the idea is fresh, you got Ben Stiller, Dick Van Dyke, and Robin Williams, along with some cavemen, monkeys, annoying Owen Wilson and Steve Coogan, etc...Yeah, the story where all the exhibits come to live became a really good family movie.

The BAD:
Now here comes another installment...the sequel, different places...but I see little added value. But, it has 93 CHARACTERS all along...whoa, i say even if you have 50 different people in a single movie can be considered too much...but now we have almost a hundred...

Another sequel recipe was implemented, bigger, longer, more people, and...still no good. Using the idea where the exhibits come to life during the night was okay, but if you just added more people to join the rumble without giving more incentives, it tends to become boring in some parts. The old dudes didn't give much (cavemen, Attila, Dexter, etc)...even the new ones such as General Custer acts like an idiot (Bill Hader can do more than that!!!)...Stiller's kid was underused, and I think he should play some parts in the museum also. Ricky Gervais was also suffered the same thing...only plays in the beginning and the end, c'mon...he can be funnier than Owen Wilson..!!!


Amy, oh Amy....

The GOOD:
AMY ADAMS !!! yeah, this girl rocks...I can't say I could enjoy the movie without her. I know it may sounds absurd, but everytime she comes on the the screen, it added the interest value...call me strange, but this girl is hot !!!

Luckily, we got helped by a good performance by Stiller and Azaria as the main focus of the story (although I still felt that Azaria accent was strange). The cameos also played well, especially in the beginning where Jonah Hill had funny conversation with Stiller. Other cameos came up from different TV sitcoms (30 rock, the Office, and SNL). Robin Williams, as usual, always entertain us with his adequate performance.

Overall, it's an okay movie, but I can see that making a 3rd installment will be a stupid idea.

My Rating :
6.5/10

No comments: