Friday, January 30, 2009

Do they ever love you back?



Tonite, I was doing my packing job, when I turned on the TV, and saw the cute Drew Barrymore on a movie. The movie was Fever Pitch, which was based on a book by Nick Hornby (same title, only in the book, it's about an Arsenal huge fan). Well, the story was like this, a high-school teacher Ben Wrightman (Jimmy Fallon) is a good catch. He's charming, funny and great with kids. When he meets Lindsey Meeks (Drew Barrymore), an ambitious business consultant whose spirit is as luminous as her beauty, their attraction is immediate. Sure, they have their differences. She's a workaholic; he loves his summers off. He lives and breathes the THE BOSTON RED SOX (quote: super duper fucking' OBSESSED). 

Ben always watch every Red Sox games, not missing an inning. On the other hand, Lindsey is a no-go about baseball, meaning she does not know any shit about Red Sox. Well, she tried...read the books, went to the games, doing her best to keep the balance between the job (she works her ass to get a promotion) and Ben with his 'Red-Sox life'. Until one day, well...u know...Lindsey couldn't stand it anymore...So, whose fault is it? Ben who's lost in his obsession...or Lindsey who can't understand Ben at all? One thing for sure, Lindsey made a bold move toward the relationship when she accompanied Ben to watch the live games...maybe it's normal in the US or Europe, when people become obsessed with sports...but not HERE!!!! especially not HERE!!!!!!!
 
Ben didn't understand with Lindsey (guys...always), he thought she'd understood him from the beginning, until a kid told him..."Do they (Red Sox) ever love you back?"....whoa!!! That's a jackpot...bull's eye!!! Mind you, in history, Red Sox never won any trophies since 1918 if I'm not mistaken. So, it's like...a one-sided love afterall...

Yeah, I'm a Man United Fan...and fortunately they're winning trophies...Am I an obsessed fan? Perhaps...Last 2 seasons...I almost watched every matches...always keeps me updated with their latest news...felt so bad when they're losing...felt so good when they're winning....buying their merchandises...

I'm grateful enough, my girl is able to understand this...she always put her ears on whenever I told her stories bout Man Utd...She used to dislike football, looked at it as a useless sport, when 20 people fight each other for a stupid ball (kinda stupid actually, someone breaks your legs because he just wants the ball!!!).

Present day? She knows Rooney, Ferguson, Cantona, Ronaldo, and she is aware there's a Korean guy in the team, and she knows that we may not be able to watch Giggs and Scholes playing any more near the future...She knows the difference between league, cup, or champions matches (she stayed up with me up till morning watching last year Champions Final)...And she understands OFF SIDE!!! Gosh, I couldn't expect anything more than that. 



Perhaps, the thing she likes is that I'm not an obsessed person. I could keep the balance between Man Utd and 'girlfriend' times...(quote: prioritizing things). She was also grateful that I like football, enjoying it with friends together, rather to go the clubs or hanging around till midnite drinking, or other...'useless' things...

Oh well, I love Man Utd (they kept a good run at this moment!!!), and I love her also...yeah, in this case, 'THEY' really love me back...

1 comment:

Temmy & Monika said...

Good on you lah Bro....in a relationship...should be like that...but if you have child like mine...WOW....it would be different than you can imagine hahahaha. You will experience it sooner or later :P